Horace Mann is committed to being there for you during that moment of truth when you need your insurance most. If you sustain damage to your home that is insured by Horace Mann, following these steps can help ensure your peace of mind immediately after the incident and throughout the claim process:
First Steps to Take
- Remain calm. Check to see if anyone is injured.
- Call 911 for medical, fire and/or police assistance (if needed). If the fire and/or police are contacted, retain the officer’s name and phone number, as well as the fire/police report number (if applicable).
- Document what happened. (Recording a voice note on your cell phone can help you remember key facts later.) Take photographs of the damage.
Contact Horace Mann to report your claim as soon as possible. Call toll-free at 800-999-1030 or visit the online Claims Center. You should also notify your agent that you need to report a claim.
- Have your Horace Mann policy number ready and be prepared to provide contact information so we can reach you (even if you have temporary living arrangements).
- Secure/protect the property from further damage as best as you can. Begin a list of damaged or stolen items.
- Make emergency repairs (if possible). To prevent further damage, cover leaky roofs or holes with plastic sheeting or tarps. Check all doors (including garage door openings) and windows. If you incur any costs, keep all receipts to provide your claim counselor.
- If your residence is unlivable or inaccessible, Horace Mann can assist you in locating a hotel or temporary residence. Keep all receipts related to temporary housing. If you evacuated your residence, do not re-enter your home until local authorities have declared the area is safe.
We believe in making the claim process as easy as possible and pride ourselves on delivering world-class claim service to our customers. Your Horace Mann claim counselor will work with you throughout the claim process to make sure you’re protected and all of your needs are met.