Do want a classroom pet but feel that you can’t afford one? Well, help is on the way. The Pet Care Trust partners with different pet product suppliers to offer several different kinds of Pets in the Classroom grant opportunities
to public and private Pre-K to 8th grade school teachers (and librarians).
The purpose of the grants is to help support teaching children about pets and how to care for them. It is a wonderful opportunity to help teach responsibility and character. (There are also lesson plans).
There are some limitations. For example, only small animals for the classroom are eligible. Dogs, cats, livestock and projects involving caterpillars and worms are not eligible.
If you want or are considering hamsters, bearded dragons, leopard geckos, fancy rats, fish, Guinea Pigs, parakeets, snakes, Fire Belly Toads, tree frogs, mice, gerbils, tarantulas, scorpions, or Hermit Crabs, just go to www.petsintheclassroom.org/grant-app. Read the guidelines and choose your type of grant—essentially you are choosing the type of pet and the store where you want to “buy” the pet and supplies with your grant coupon.
Then fill out the grant request and wait for the good news. Pets in the Classroom Grant Application cycle for the 2014-2015 school year began August 1.
Remember you are only eligible for one "Pet in the Classroom" grant but you can apply for a "Sustaining Grant" next year. Remember to check with your principal to see if pets are permitted in your school and pre-plan what you are going to do with your classroom pet during holidays and summer break.
- Rebate Grant in the amounts of $75 (for small animal or birds) or $125 (for reptiles or fish) for purchases at any pet store;
- Sustaining Grant in the amount of $50 to maintain an existing classroom pet;
- Petco Grant, which provides coupons for the live animal, pet habitat and supplies purchased at Petco;
- Petsmart Grant, which provides coupons for the live animal, pet habitat and supplies purchased at Petsmart;
- Pet Supermarket Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and pet supplies purchased at Pet Supermarket;
- Pet Supplies Plus Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Pet Supplies Plus Stores;
- Petland Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Petland Stores, and
- Petland Discounts Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Petland Discounts Stores.
Dona Helmer, Fish Lady and Librarian in Alaska